Platelet Count

It is one of the three cell types found in the blood. These are erythrocytes, leucocytes, and platelets (thrombocytes). Erythrocytes make up 99% of blood cells, leukocytes and platelets make up the remaining 1%. Platelets are much smaller in size than other cells and have no nucleus. These cells are responsible for the blood clotting function. If an injury or unexpected accumulation occurs anywhere in the body (such as intravascular cholesterol deposits), platelets immediately initiate chain reactions of the clotting mechanism.
Interpretation:If there is a problem in bleeding or clotting, the medical investigation starts with coagulation pathway steps, platelet count and synthesis disturbances. When platelet count is is low (thrombocytopenia), bleeding is accelerated. When platelet count is high (thrombocytosis), clotting is accelerated. Low platelet count decreases in B12 or folic acid deficiency, decreased cell production due to any reason, pregnancy, side effects of some medications, bone marrow diseases such as aplastic anaemia, myelofibrosis, myelodysplasia, blood transfusion, some viral infections, conditions that cause the spleen to overwork, toxicity, alcohol consumption. The symptoms may be red bruises on the arms and legs, menstrual bleeding and prolonged blood flow interruption Thrombocytosis (elevated platelet counts) may be because of iron deficiency anaemia, haemolysis, intestinal infections, and some bone marrow diseases which accelerate the clotting function. Symptoms due to clot formation are headache, dizziness, chest pain, oedema in the extremities, numbness and craving.
Sample: Arm venous blood (EDTA). Nonfasting.
Working day: Everyday
Result Time: Same day at 6 PM